GPSr recommendation

This is the place to discuss the Hardware and Software that makes Geocaching possible.

Moderator: Moderator

GPSr recommendation

Postby Nuggie99 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:04 pm

The wife is in the market for a GPSr. She will only be using it for geocaching. She's narrowed it down to the DeLorme
PN 60 and the Oregon 400t. She's spoken to PilotJ and got his take on it and is leaning toward the 60, but would like
any other input from the local cachers. Or if you think there is a better model in that price range, feel free to speak up! Thanks.
Nuggie99

Re: GPSr recommendation

Postby firemanjim903mfd on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:22 am

I don't know if this will help much or not but I have a Oregon 550T and I love it .
firemanjim903mfd

Postby Aquacache on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:06 am

The PN-60 seems like a nice unit. The ability of linking it to a SPOT device could be handy for those that go after some of the more extreme caches ... or those that have gotten lost for days looking for their car at the mall parking lot.

You can check with wvhunter on the Oregon. He loves talking about his. :shock:

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Rock_Rat on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:53 am

I've been debating my next unit for awhile now. Here is some of the data I keep running over. The Delorme's come with better maps but the Garmin units have free maps available on the web. The Pn 60 holds 2000 waypoints while the GPSMap 62 holds 5000. Both the PN 60 and the GPSMap 62 use the same chip set but it has been suggested the PN 60 gives a more repeatable result when returning to a previously known waypoint and holds a more steady lock when left setting at said way point. The GPSMap62 has a larger screen than the PN 60 and some people complain that Delorme's buttons feel cheap though I can't comment on that point. The PN 60 has the option of the Spot unit which not only allows for in the field updating of your location to online maps but also for posting to twitter or Facebook and SMS messaging in addition to being a rescue beacon. Both units sport new power saving technologies and are claiming running times of 15-20 hours when utilizing these power saving modes. In the end for me it's coming down to if I would prefer the option of the Spot unit or the 5000 waypoint capacity of the 62. I don't personally like touchscreens on my handheld GPS's (I'm just too hard on them) so I haven't included the Oregon in my deliberations.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby wvangler on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:33 am

Rock_Rat wrote: The Pn 60 holds 2000 waypoints while the GPSMap 62 holds 5000.

FYI, I have the DeLorme PN-40 and like the PN-60, the newest firmware allows you to load unlimited pocket queries into up to a 32 gig SD card. So I run pocket queries up to 1000 geocaches and using the included Topo 9.0 it automatically syncs them to my PN-40 without ever downloading them to my computer (remotely through gc.com). Then when I'm in the field I can switch between pocket queries.

For example, this last Wednesday I was finishing up the caches for the ExploreWV Geocoin Challenge and my first find of the day was at Seneca Rocks. I was using my PQ run off of the Moorefield zip code at that point. I found caches over to about Capon Bridge then decided to switch PQ's to my Martinsburg zip code PQ. I just went to the menu and changed PQ's. It takes the PN-40 about a minute or two to save field notes/new waypoint data (if you changed anything or added new waypoints) and change PQ, but I think the PN-60 should go much faster than that since it has a faster processor.

This feature may not be exclusive to the DeLorme units so don't buy based on that, but I wanted to make you aware that the waypoint limit is not really an issue. The waypoint limit is simply the number of waypoints you can have loaded up at any given time, but you can have 10,000,000,000,000 waypoints/geocaches loaded onto the SD card if it will hold it.

----

You may also want to consider, just for the sake of considering, the new Magellan GC. They sell them at all the Target stores right in the electronics section. It is a pretty sweet unit too. It costs about the same as a PN-40. It doesn't really offer any features that the PN doesn't and the maps/software included is not as good as the PN, but it is perhaps more geocaching friendly as it is really the first GPSr designed specifically for geocaching. I love my DeLorme unit for its features. There isn't another GPSr on the market that has the same features for the price (between $180-$210 for the 40). BUT, there are some bugs. I had multiple issues with bugs in my old PN-20 and once had to have the unit replaced. The only major bug my PN-40 has had is it once locked up in a dead state and wouldn't turn on. Turns out that apparently on some units the capacitors will occasionally hold a charge even when the batteries are removed and it fouls up the unit. I let it sit for a couple of days and it cleared out and works fine now and no issues since. My understanding is this is a rare occurance on the 40 only, but of course I would be one of the suckers to have this happen. Loading new firmware updates, etc. has always been a little bit of a hassle with DeLorme, but the new Topo 9 makes it a lot easier. Sometimes there are little issues that come up and I have to go to the DeLorme forums to get answers. They are quick to respond and almost always have a solution, but most of those guys are IT geeks and assume that everyone else in the world is as well...so often their answers go right over your head. You have to tell them to speak "idiot" to you which will normally give you a more workable answer.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby Rock_Rat on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am

wvangler wrote:FYI, I have the DeLorme PN-40 and like the PN-60, the newest firmware allows you to load unlimited pocket queries into up to a 32 gig SD card. So I run pocket queries up to 1000 geocaches and using the included Topo 9.0 it automatically syncs them to my PN-40 without ever downloading them to my computer (remotely through gc.com). Then when I'm in the field I can switch between pocket queries.

That's good to know. I had heard that mentioned before by someone but all of the spec pages just say it will hold 2000 waypoints and don't mention being able to extend that with the SD card. That adds a point to the PN-60 side of the debate for me.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby Aquacache on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:41 pm

That would be a real plus. However, this would completely rule out me ever purchasing a PN-40:

wvangler wrote:... locked up in a dead state and wouldn't turn on. ... let it sit for a couple of days ...

Wow! The last thing I want is a GPSr that may have to sit for a couple of days before you can turn it back on. That makes it almost as useful as a rock when out in the woods (the rock is better at cracking walnuts).

I hope that they have corrected that problem.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Nuggie99 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:23 pm

Just wanted to give you all an update. She ended up getting the Garmin GPSMaps 62. So far, she loves it. Still figuring stuff out, and learns something new everyday. (I realize that wasn't one of the ones she asked me to post about, but I've learned to just nod my head and say yes ma'am and do as I'm told. Works out better that way)
Nuggie99

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Nuggie99 wrote:Just wanted to give you all an update. She ended up getting the Garmin GPSMaps 62. So far, she loves it. Still figuring stuff out, and learns something new everyday. (I realize that wasn't one of the ones she asked me to post about, but I've learned to just nod my head and say yes ma'am and do as I'm told. Works out better that way)

very nice choice. So what tipped the scales for the 62?
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Nuggie99 on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:13 pm

She says "We already had a Garmin and it was good. It had no bad reviews. People had a lot of trouble figuring out how to work the delorme software. the price was right."
Nuggie99

Return to Tools of the Trade