Trying to Invest in a new GPS...Suggestions?

This is the place to discuss the Hardware and Software that makes Geocaching possible.

Moderator: Moderator

Trying to Invest in a new GPS...Suggestions?

Postby nrotruck on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi all.

I'm new to the board, and can be found on geocaching.com under the same name. I've found all of my geocaches so far using a Garmin driving GPS and have been thinking about upgrading to a handheld.

Keep in mind, I'm a student at WVU, so I'm operating on a college budget, but any types of suggestions are welcome since I'm new to all of this. Thanks!
nrotruck

Re: Trying to Invest in a new GPS...Suggestions?

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:50 pm

A lot of us started with what we loving refer to as the ubiquitous "cheap yellow GPS" which was the Garmin eTrex. It's no more, but the replacement is the eTrex 10 which seems to have a few more features. Garmin's website shows it for $119, but I'm guessing you could find it for less if you searched online.

You might want to check on eBay for used GPS as well. I got a good deal on a Garmin 60CSx a few years ago (a lot cheaper than it was sold for in stores) and it was still in the box.

One of the things that you should probably seriously consider is whether you would like (or want) a GPS that will also have the cache description on it. They tend to cost a little more, but in my experience having that info on the same device with which you are navigating is so handy. Another thing to think about is how long a GPS is going to last you. I've upgraded recently not because my GPS wore out, but because I wanted more features (also, I lost it...but that's another story). Now I have a DeLorme Earthmate PN-60W.

A good alternative while you are biding your time is one of the many smart phone apps. Assuming you have a smartphone, of course. I've done a lot of caching using my phone and it has been every bit as accurate as my handheld GPSes. I use C:Geo (free) and NeonGeo ($4.26). Both of those are Android.

I've rambled enough for now....time to let everyone else weigh in :grin:
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Rock_Rat on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:49 am

:iagree:
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby Groggamer on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:33 pm

One of the things that you should probably seriously consider is whether you would like (or want) a GPS that will also have the cache description on it. They tend to cost a little more, but in my experience having that info on the same device with which you are navigating is so handy.

I second that! Spend a bit more you'll really want this feature.
“All is for naught, if an Angel pisses on your firelock” - Frederick the Great
Groggamer

Return to Tools of the Trade