Pda's

This is the place to discuss the Hardware and Software that makes Geocaching possible.

Moderator: Moderator

Pda's

Postby wvhunter74 on Mon May 12, 2008 8:06 pm

Ok I know nothing about them what ones is good and what do I need to know about when buying one?Are the ones on ebay normaly good?
wvhunter74

Re: Pda's

Postby 89SC on Mon May 12, 2008 8:33 pm

I bought a Palm Tungsten E2 off Ebay and am very happy with it. I only have a 512mb card in it but it's good enough to load the nearest 300 caches a hold a bunch of pictures.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby Aquacache on Mon May 12, 2008 8:48 pm

It all depends on what you want to do with it (you knew that was coming, didn't you? :grin: ).

I bought the Palm T|X a couple years ago and love it ... most of the time. :???: I picked it mainly for the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capability. The Wi-Fi advantages are pretty much self-explanatory (e-mail, web browsing, etc) and the Bluetooth is very handy for connecting to a Bluetooth GPSr. Add CacheMate and a mapping program (I use Delorme Street Atlas and Topo) and it can be a complete, standalone geocaching system.

One downside to all these features is the expense; especially if you're planing to take it into the woods. If you drop an unprotected PDA, you risk damaging (or destroying) an expensive piece of hardware. Most GPSr's are waterproof ... most PDA's are not. And great big fancy color touchscreens are not very rock-friendly. I have an aluminum case for mine and it has saved the T|X from more than one bounce off of some rocks and paved parking lots.

If you're not comfortable hauling that expensive PDA on the trails, a less expensive version (with fewer features) might be a better choice. I've read of many people throwing CacheMate on a $10 PDA off eBay so they can have cache descriptions and hints while on the hunt with very little concern for the safety of the hardware. You'd still need a handheld GPSr, but I carry one of those with me as well anyway.

Hope this helps muddy the water a little more. :grin:

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby 89SC on Mon May 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Sometimes I wish I'd gone with the next model up so I had Wi-Fi but as Aquacache said, hauling expensive equipment through the woods makes me nervous. I'm already carrying the gpsr, which I recently upgraded, and a digital camera. I've been wanting to upgrade the camera too but have the same thoughts. I bought the camera as a factory refurbished model. If I drop it in a creek it'll be bad but not as bad as dropping a digital SLR would be.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon May 12, 2008 9:10 pm

well at the risk of being mocked (go ahead, bring it). I have an iPAQ which is also wifi /bluetooth. I run cachemate and DeLorme on it. I don't have the fancy schmancy titanium case. I have a clear plastic case hinged at the top (I just managed to break the hinge). But it is nice because I can see the screen all the time. Basically when I'm on the trail I just put it in my pocket if I have cross a stream or scramble up / over something. The only downside is there is no place on it to put a lanyard.

Unlike most of the folks here, I use it as my main GPSr <particularly since I've loaned my blue garmin out> and have done so for probably about a year. My bluetooth GPSr is a Holux GPSlim that's 2 years old.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Rock_Rat on Tue May 13, 2008 6:10 am

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:well at the risk of being mocked (go ahead, bring it). I have an iPAQ

No need for mocking, you can install Linux on an iPAQ and then it's cool. :lol:

If you already have a GPS and don't need the fancy features like blue tooth look for something like a used M125. I've had mine for years. They can be had cheap so breaking them isn't a big deal.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby scoutingwv on Tue May 13, 2008 6:19 am

Had a Palm III, worked great.

Outgrew the Palm III and got an iPaq. Worked great.

iPaq died, got another Palm. Worked great.

Cell phone needed upgraded. Ditched the Palm and the old phone and got a Blackberry.

Awesome. Especially in conjunction with the old XJKS8000000' and mobipocket.
scoutingwv

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue May 13, 2008 6:24 am

scoutingwv wrote:Cell phone needed upgraded. Ditched the Palm and the old phone and got a Blackberry.

Awesome. Especially in conjunction with the old XJKS8000000' and mobipocket.

which blackberry do you have? it's almost time for our cell contract to be up and I'm looking around at phones again - since my work BB doesn't have GPSr capabilities and other fun things are disabled (yes, I know...my life is tragic).
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby scoutingwv on Tue May 13, 2008 10:21 am

An 8830 World Edition.

ahhh ... digital goodness ...
scoutingwv

Postby wvhunter74 on Tue May 13, 2008 10:42 pm

Ok So since I got a gpsr already and I dont really need to get online whie Im out What is some of the better cheeper ones basicly just to load all the cach info on
wvhunter74

Postby Aquacache on Tue May 13, 2008 11:16 pm

wvhunter74 wrote:Ok So since I got a gpsr already and I dont really need to get online whie Im out What is some of the better cheeper ones basicly just to load all the cach info on

I'm only familiar with the Palm's (although I did touch SSPG's iPaq the other day and I think that may have caused a virus to spring up on my Palm :lol: ) and if you can find anything from a Palm III, Palm V, m-series, Tungsten series, etc, it will work well. If you are wanting to use a program such as MobiPocket to view the cache description (with pictures), you'll probably want to go with a color screen, but CacheMate works just fine on a monochrome. The older Palm III's go for next to nothing on eBay.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Wed May 14, 2008 6:07 am

Aquacache wrote:I'm only familiar with the Palm's (although I did touch SSPG's iPaq the other day and I think that may have caused a virus to spring up on my Palm :lol: )

I seem to recall your Palm locking up of its own accord, previous to the touching of my iPaq :hand:

Aquacache wrote: and if you can find anything from a Palm III, Palm V, m-series, Tungsten series, etc, it will work well. If you are wanting to use a program such as MobiPocket to view the cache description (with pictures), you'll probably want to go with a color screen, but CacheMate works just fine on a monochrome. The older Palm III's go for next to nothing on eBay.

we did get my dad a Palm for paperless caching purposes for father's day a few years ago. I think we only spent $100 or so since he only wanted the "read the cache description" option.

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby scoutingwv on Wed May 14, 2008 6:17 am

wvhunter74 wrote:Ok So since I got a gpsr already and I dont really need to get online whie Im out What is some of the better cheeper ones basicly just to load all the cach info on

Palm.
scoutingwv

Postby wvcoalcat on Wed May 14, 2008 7:04 am

scoutingwv wrote:

Palm.

I agree a palm is probably the cheapest way to go paperless. However, I seem to be limited as to the amount of data I can store on mine.
Wvhunter's cigarette smoking, mountain climbing, SWMBO butt kissin' sock puppet. (ScoutingWV 2-22-07)

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. (Benjamin Franklin)
wvcoalcat

Postby scoutingwv on Wed May 14, 2008 10:26 am

I think WVHunter's PDA would more likely be used like this:
Attachments
pda.jpg
pda.jpg (45.76 KB) Viewed 1408 times
scoutingwv

Next

Return to Tools of the Trade