Blue Garmin of Doom...

This is the place to discuss the Hardware and Software that makes Geocaching possible.

Moderator: Moderator

Blue Garmin of Doom...

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:38 pm

I tried. I really did. I tried to resurrect my stupid blue garmin while caching with CLCombat & Aquacache on Sunday.

I was trying to be prepared since the forecast was calling for possible rain. And I needed something that was a little less sensitive to wetness.

I had fresh batteries. I had downloaded my PQ. The stupid thing turned on and even got a lock. But alas, the joystick failed. I restarted. The joystick failed again. I knocked it on the side of the AquaJeep to no avail. I talked nicely to it. :hail: Nothing. I threatened it. :mad: Nothing. I shook it like an etch-a-sketch. :shakit: Nothing.

What does this mean? This means the next time I'm looking at buying a new GPSr online and sidekick says, "Do you really need another GPSr?" I can smack him in the head with the blue garmin :loco: and if the joystick doesn't start working at that stage I can answer, "Apparently I do."

Or I can wait for the next major gift-receiving :party2: occassion and request a new GPSr, but that seems like such a hassle.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Re: Blue Garmin of Doom...

Postby pbump on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:20 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:I tried. I really did. I tried to resurrect my stupid blue garmin while caching with CLCombat & Aquacache on Sunday.

I was trying to be prepared since the forecast was calling for possible rain. And I needed something that was a little less sensitive to wetness.

I had fresh batteries. I had downloaded my PQ. The stupid thing turned on and even got a lock. But alas, the joystick failed. I restarted. The joystick failed again. I knocked it on the side of the AquaJeep to no avail. I talked nicely to it. :hail: Nothing. I threatened it. :mad: Nothing. I shook it like an etch-a-sketch. :shakit: Nothing.

What does this mean? This means the next time I'm looking at buying a new GPSr online and sidekick says, "Do you really need another GPSr?" I can smack him in the head with the blue garmin :loco: and if the joystick doesn't start working at that stage I can answer, "Apparently I do."

Or I can wait for the next major gift-receiving :party2: occassion and request a new GPSr, but that seems like such a hassle.

Did I mention the water-resistant capabilities of the Garmin Colorado? Hmmm? Did I? :jive:
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby Aquacache on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:02 pm

pbump wrote:Did I mention the water-resistant capabilities of the Garmin Colorado? Hmmm? Did I? :jive:

Not to bash the Colorado, but aren't all of the Garmin handhelds waterproof? She does, however, have an issue with the PDA. :???:

The three of us were talking Sunday about the Colorado and I guess I didn't look closely enough at it on Thursday night. What is the advantage of it over one of the GPSMAP series units? I suppose I could go to the Garmin site and do a comparison ... but I figure that's why you're here. :lol:

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby pbump on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Without going back to the old notes and figuring why I grabbed this one, the biggest pluses are the 2000 cache capacity, and the phenomenal amount of data that you can carry in the darn thing - came with full blown topos, Whereigo capability (which I'm not real sure about yet), and PDA or better quality cache descriptions, logs, hints, etc.
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby Rock_Rat on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:35 pm

Aquacache wrote:
pbump wrote:Did I mention the water-resistant capabilities of the Garmin Colorado? Hmmm? Did I? :jive:

Not to bash the Colorado, but aren't all of the Garmin handhelds waterproof? She does, however, have an issue with the PDA. :???:

The three of us were talking Sunday about the Colorado and I guess I didn't look closely enough at it on Thursday night. What is the advantage of it over one of the GPSMAP series units? I suppose I could go to the Garmin site and do a comparison ... but I figure that's why you're here. :lol:

The only real difference between the 60csX and the 76csX is that the 60 is water resistant and the 76 is water proofed. Other than that the buttons and the case are different but the internals are the same.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby Aquacache on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:43 pm

Ah, 2000 cache capacity! It's about time they increased it. But why is it limited at all? I could never understand why my Vista HCx had a expansion memory card slot but was still limited to 1000 waypoints ... you can't put any of them on the card, unless you make them POI's which is a real pain. Why not allow you to put waypoints on the card until you run out of memory? This means I can only have one PQ in it at any one time. Before the "additional waypoints" on the cache pages got real popular around here, I could get both my Elkins (400 caches) and Morgantown (450 caches) PQ's on it at the same time ... not any more.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby pbump on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:08 pm

Aquacache wrote:Ah, 2000 cache capacity! It's about time they increased it. But why is it limited at all? I could never understand why my Vista HCx had a expansion memory card slot but was still limited to 1000 waypoints ... you can't put any of them on the card, unless you make them POI's which is a real pain. Why not allow you to put waypoints on the card until you run out of memory? This means I can only have one PQ in it at any one time. Before the "additional waypoints" on the cache pages got real popular around here, I could get both my Elkins (400 caches) and Morgantown (450 caches) PQ's on it at the same time ... not any more.

The Colorado kinda lets you do that - it has SD card slot, and you can GSAK your file out to the card(s), and load from there. Beautiful for trips methinks. I always hated having to decide what ones to load on a trip across several states. And the GSAK macro lets you pick how many logs you want to take with you as well, along with it's nifty filtering capabilities.

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby scoutingwv on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:39 am

I've got a Magellan that does all of that and waypoint storage is only limited by the amount of memory you have in it. Too bad the company sucks. As good as that GPS is (and it was a gift, too!) it's still relegated to being the backup. It'll take a lot to get me away from my 76CSX, but the same device with unlimited waypoint goodness might just do it ...
scoutingwv

Postby DustyR on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:41 pm

It'll take a lot to get me away from my 76CSX, but the same device with unlimited way point goodness might just do it ...

When I first tried Geo caching I was using a Garmin C330, talk about a hoot if it was within 150 feet it would tell you were there. Never the less found a few caches with it. I have had good success with the Garmin 60Cx.
Best thing SSPG can do is go please, pleas, plea, ple, pl ********* :sad: :???: :lol:
DustyR

Postby Knight who says Ni on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:26 pm

MY blue Garmin has been out in a few downpours and has survived. Of course, maybe rain isn't the issue with SSPG's Garmin. Perhaps it is overuse. :smirk:
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:03 pm

Knight who says Ni wrote:MY blue Garmin has been out in a few downpours and has survived. Of course, maybe rain isn't the issue with SSPG's Garmin. Perhaps it is overuse. :smirk:

water damage isn't the issue with the blue garmin. the problem I am having is the joystick malfunctioning.

Which makes me rather suspicious of a GPSr that doesn't have a back up way to do a selection. For instance,if one of the side buttons on the blue garmin allowed me to select the thing that I had finally managed to highlight, I'd be ok, but that's the joystick's job. And when it is no functioning I might as well use it for a paper weight.

I don't remember if the Yellow Garmin has that capability.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:56 am

The Yellow doesn't have a joystick to worry about. You're right - there should be some sort of a functional work round for a malfunctioning joystick. My 76CSX has a "jog pad" for lack of a better term, it's like a flat joystick. If it fails the unit would be a brick, too.
scoutingwv

Postby Knight who says Ni on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:11 am

scoutingwv wrote:The Yellow doesn't have a joystick to worry about. You're right - there should be some sort of a functional work round for a malfunctioning joystick. My 76CSX has a "jog pad" for lack of a better term, it's like a flat joystick. If it fails the unit would be a brick, too.

A very expensive brick too....
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Return to Tools of the Trade