Geocaching TomTom - Need'n some help

This is the place to discuss the Hardware and Software that makes Geocaching possible.

Moderator: Moderator

Geocaching TomTom - Need'n some help

Postby wvangler on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:41 am

Ok, normally I'm the guy who people come to for tech help around the office, but in the world of geocaching-tech-geeks (affectionately) I'm still on the level of a Tandy with 5 1/2" floppy disks. So with that in mind, be gentle with your answers...

I've had a TomTom 1 for car navigation since July and it works great for that purpose (most of the time). I was in the process of updating it last night and had an epiphane; "wonder if one could load caches as point of interests (POI) to the TomTom"? Mostly just for reference purpose when driving, getting to parking areas near the cache, travelling, etc. So I did a google search and discovered that all kinds of people are doing that through GSAK. <palm smacks forehead sharply> Problem is that on the GSAK forums and Groundspeak forums people apparently assume that everyone can decode international missle target coordinates and there is no dummy explanation for folks like me. I downloaded the macro for GSAK for the TomTom, but when it exported it just put some files into a folder on my computer's hard drive (do a lot of good there you know). I tried poking around the software that came with the GPSr, but that doesn't help. I tried looking at the files in the GPSr and can't figure out where to drag n drop the generated files. In other words, how in the heck do I load the GPSr with the data?

I'm going to work with it some more this morning as I get time and see if I can figure it out, but figured I'd post about it here first and see if someone could make it easier.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Re: Geocaching TomTom - Need'n some help

Postby Rock_Rat on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:53 am

I've not used a TomTom but after a quick search I may be able to help a little. After pluggin your TomTom into your computer it should recognize it like a thumb drive or floppy disk. On the TomTom you should find a folder called United_States-Map. It appears you drop the files GSAK created into that United_States-Map folder on the TomTom. Like I said I've not used a TomTom so that's just based on some Google searches.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby scoutingwv on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:55 am

wvangler wrote:Ok, normally I'm the guy who people come to for tech help around the office, but in the world of geocaching-tech-geeks (affectionately) I'm still on the level of a Tandy with 5 1/2" floppy disks. So with that in mind, be gentle with your answers... <snip>

Heck, at least you upgraded from the 8" disks ...
scoutingwv

Postby wvangler on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:32 pm

Rock_Rat, thanks a ton. That was it. Worked like a charm. The biggest issue now with the TomTom is that I can't figure out how to turn my particular unit to "walking mode", but really isn't a big deal as long as I have a handheld GPSr with me. After I figured it out today I had to make a trip into North Charleston and while I was there I tested out the newly configured TomTom and found a cache only using that unit (although it was a pretty easy find).
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby Rock_Rat on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:57 pm

wvangler wrote:Rock_Rat, thanks a ton. That was it. Worked like a charm. The biggest issue now with the TomTom is that I can't figure out how to turn my particular unit to "walking mode", but really isn't a big deal as long as I have a handheld GPSr with me. After I figured it out today I had to make a trip into North Charleston and while I was there I tested out the newly configured TomTom and found a cache only using that unit (although it was a pretty easy find).

Any time, I'm just glad it worked for ya.
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby Knight who says Ni on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:16 pm

Although I have used my TomTom for caching, I have never attempted to use it for 'walking', only to drive closer to the cache. Let me know how this works out for you.
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Return to Tools of the Trade