mobile computing...

This is the place to discuss the Hardware and Software that makes Geocaching possible.

Moderator: Moderator

Re: mobile computing...

Postby Aquacache on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

pbump wrote:So is this the appropriate place to post questions/requests for clarifications on GCC requirements?
Wondering if properly equipped Blackberry will satisfy the PDA requirement. Will get into the required internet connections next.

Yes. Any smartphone loaded with the appropriate software can be substituted for the PDA while still remaining within the guidelines for GCC classification, provided all of the other requirements have been met.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby pbump on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply. I now need clarification on internet access. The rules state "Internet access utilizing Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and cellular". While I can can connect to the internet using three different paths (WiFi, Sprint card, tethered BB), none of these methods utilize bluetooth. This would seem to NOT satisfy the requirements. Any clarification would be appreciated.
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby Aquacache on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:37 am

Utilizing Bluetooth to access the Internet is referring to connecting your PC to your phone via "Bluetooth tether" using the DUN (Dial-Up Networking) service. If you are using a traditional wired tether to connect the PC to your phone, it is possible that an exception may be granted after the full specifications of your vehicle have been submitted to the GCCRB (Geocache Command Center Review Board) for certification.

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Previous

Return to Tools of the Trade