DeLorme PN20

This is the place to discuss the Hardware and Software that makes Geocaching possible.

Moderator: Moderator

DeLorme PN20

Postby wvangler on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Knight Who Says Ni said that she thought someone here on MAGPI had a PN20. I saw it recommended on the forum on the groundspeak website as far as best value via the refurb package here:

http://www.tigergps.com/refurbpn20.html?productid=refurbpn20&channelid=FROOG

I want a unit that does topo mapping and has expandable memory via an SD slot so that I can store a buttload of caches/waypoints that will be displayed on the screen. I'm also looking for a good high sensitivity antenna. DarrylW4 of the cacheamaniacs/cachers of the roundtable podcasts told me they were really slow, but a good unit. I don't know what that means "really slow". Does that mean it takes 45 minutes to turn on and draw the screen or 45 seconds? For $170 I figure I couldn't go wrong so I asked my wife to get me this package for Christmas. Please let me know if this is a bad deal and there is something else I should consider.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Re: DeLorme PN20

Postby Aquacache on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:43 pm

Those look pretty nice. I haven't seen one in person, so I'd like to know how well they work, too.

The spec sheet says that they will hold 1000 waypoints (not exactly my idea of a "buttload", but it's better than some that only hold 500) and if it's like the Garmin units, don't expect to be able to put more waypoints on the SD card. For whatever reason, the programmers at Garmin decided that there would be no reason you would ever want to have more waypoint storage space than is available in the internal memory. However, you can store enough track points on the card to completely cover the face of the earth. :roll: The only way to add "waypoints" to the card is to add them as Points of Interest. And once they are loaded onto the card, they can not manipulated as with real waypoints; can't be deleted one at a time, can't change the icons, can't change the coordinates, etc. It would be nice if the folks that made the DeLorme eliminated that problem.

Not sure about the speed either. I noticed that the new PN-40 is "blazing fast"! :lol:

If you get one, we will be looking for a complete review here on the forum! :grin:

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby pbump on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:13 pm

I have one. Nice- but sssllllooooowwww screen writes. 1000 cache capacity with PARTIAL cache description storage. Kinda slow to load, too. Takes like 10 minutes to load the 1000 caches. Responds pretty well, was acurate (some discrepencies on the road centerlines on the maps, but that's pretty common). It's also a bit more convoluted to load than a garmin - you have to save a gpx (or txt if you have GSAK - you have GSAK, right?) then load it with the mapping software. Easy to use once you get familiar with it.

Bottom line - good for caching, but it ain't a Garmin. Oh yeah, we have a Colorado, too. OK, the WIFE has the Colorado, I have a PN20.
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby pbump on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:15 pm

Oh yeah - Aquacache - the Colorado DOES let you put waypoints on a SD card and load 'em in the field. (with GSAK of course) And it holds 2000 with full descriptions AND logs. Yeah. That'll get the blood flowing.
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:51 pm

pbump wrote:Oh yeah - Aquacache - the Colorado DOES let you put waypoints on a SD card and load 'em in the field. (with GSAK of course) And it holds 2000 with full descriptions AND logs. Yeah. That'll get the blood flowing.

pbump seems generous with Mrs. pbump's GPSr. He offered to let me take it out for a test drive....

I sure hope he asked nicely before making the offer. (still drooling over any new GPSr that is even vaguely water repellent).
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby wvangler on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:18 pm

thanks pbump. I have GSAK, but I'm not following you on the txt thing, if I get this unit I'll have to come aggravate you to coach me through it. Is there not a macro or anything for gsak to allow you to upload the gpx directly from gsak?

That's a bummer that it only holds 1000, but I suppose I'll just have to suffer through deleting and adding packages of .gpx depending on regions of the state I'm heading to. I really want the topo detail features for other purposes and you can't beat the price.

I'd love a Colorado or Oregon, but $400-$500 is not an option.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Postby pbump on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:42 am

wvangler wrote:thanks pbump. I have GSAK, but I'm not following you on the txt thing, if I get this unit I'll have to come aggravate you to coach me through it. Is there not a macro or anything for gsak to allow you to upload the gpx directly from gsak?

That's a bummer that it only holds 1000, but I suppose I'll just have to suffer through deleting and adding packages of .gpx depending on regions of the state I'm heading to. I really want the topo detail features for other purposes and you can't beat the price.

I'd love a Colorado or Oregon, but $400-$500 is not an option.

There's a few different exports from GSAK - if you export the GPX format it takes forever for Delorme to load it onto the maps, then forever to push it to the device. If you export it in the Delorme format from GSAK, it goes much easier.

Lemme know when you're in possession - I'll do what I can. Mine is presently in the possession of one of my wife's co-workers, but I should have it back next weekend.

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby Knight who says Ni on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:48 pm

wvangler wrote:Knight Who Says Ni said that she thought someone here on MAGPI had a PN20.

I thought I sensed a disturbance in the force....

Rock_Rat and Scoutingwv have super fancy gps(es?). Not sure what kind. For what it's worth, SSPG calls them the XJ9million. :lol:
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Postby Aquacache on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:07 pm

Knight who says Ni wrote:... For what it's worth, SSPG calls them the XJ9million. :lol:

Actually, it's the XJKS8000000.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:51 am

Aquacache wrote:
Knight who says Ni wrote:... For what it's worth, SSPG calls them the XJ9million. :lol:

Well, since the repair mine has been re-dubbed by 3_Dogs as the XJKS8000000'. :grin:
scoutingwv

Postby Aquacache on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:53 pm

scoutingwv wrote:
Aquacache wrote:

Well, since the repair mine has been re-dubbed by 3_Dogs as the XJKS8000000'. :grin:

That's right! I totally forgot about that. :lol:

Aquacache

Return to Tools of the Trade