Paperless...almost

Tell us whatever you're thinking about geocaching.

Moderator: Moderator

Paperless...almost

Postby wvangler on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:39 pm

Crap. Finally got my Palm IIIxc I won on ebay today and was pumped to get to the computer and install the necessary apps and upload the .gpx to finally, finally, finally go full paperless. But I was denied. Aparently in my haste to bid I didn't realize that the used Palm I was bidding on did not include the dock/cord/telekinetic device that is required to actually transfer information to this device. So I drive out to OfficeMax...nay...drive to AT&T...nay...drive back home and order a USB cord from some shady cell phone company which may or may not ship this century. I'm pretty bummed about it because I was hoping to get some data uploaded before I left for Asheville, NC on Thanksgiving week so I wouldn't have to print a million pages. :???:

Had to vent. I feel better now, but no so much you'd notice.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Re: Paperless...almost

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:51 pm

bummer.

I feel your pain. Oh boy do I.

wish I could locate the palm cord I had from the pre-PDA days. I think sidekick stuck it in some box o'cords which are so prevalent in our house. Of course, not sure it would work, but you never know. I'll ask sidekick anyhow. He may have it at the office.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Aquacache on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:35 pm

That sucks. Are you sure it's a Palm IIIxc? I've got an old Palm IIIc and I've heard of the IIIx and the IIIxe, but I've never seen mention of a IIIxc.

I have a sync/charge cradle for the Palm IIIc that's still in the shrink wrap and you're welcome to it if you want it. It uses a serial port, so your computer will have to have one. I believe it will work with all Palm III devices -- although, I'll throw out the disclaimer: "Use at your own risk." :lol:

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby wvangler on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:01 pm

Yes, my desktop should have a serial port and I would be elated to have the cradle. With a busy week this week and deer season saturating early next week, I'm not sure if I can make it up to Motown in time for a pick up. Maybe we can work something out off board.

I checked, it is a Palm IIIxe, not xc. I basically read this page (http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/paperless.html), hopped on ebay and bought the first used one I saw for a whopping $0.99 + $11 shipping (plus it came with a groovy leather case). I plan to do as this page instructs and use GPS Spinner and Plucker. Not sure how many caches this thing will hold. I'm hoping in excess of 500. I get the regularly schedule pocket query of the 500 closest to me, but since I travel around the state I'd like to also plug in other temporary pocket queries as needed. Since I'm new to paperless, does this plan sound reasonable?
wvangler

Postby 89SC on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:33 pm

I'm using a Palm Tungsten and use Cachemate to convert my PQs. It's real easy. Unzip the PQ, drag and drop into Cachemate, hit save, and Hot Synch.
Growing Old is compulsory, Growing up is Optional!
89SC

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:29 am

wvangler wrote:Yes, my desktop should have a serial port and I would be elated to have the cradle. With a busy week this week and deer season saturating early next week, I'm not sure if I can make it up to Motown in time for a pick up. Maybe we can work something out off board.

gentlemen:

I'd be happy to chauffeur said cradle from Morgantown to Charleston this week. I'm heading that way anyway.
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Knight who says Ni on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:57 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:
wvangler wrote:Yes, my desktop should have a serial port and I would be elated to have the cradle. With a busy week this week and deer season saturating early next week, I'm not sure if I can make it up to Motown in time for a pick up. Maybe we can work something out off board.

gentlemen:

I'd be happy to chauffeur said cradle from Morgantown to Charleston this week. I'm heading that way anyway.

And if SSPG cannot get it to you, I am sure we can arrange a hand off. Given that I work within eyesight of your 'office'. :smile:
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Postby wvangler on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:29 pm

Actually, my office is between Sissonville and Charleston. But yes, this will all work out nicely if Aquacache is up for it.

I feel pretty dumb now. I just discovered that I can also upload the .gpx into my ipod nano via GSAK. DOH!!! This rocks. However, I still want to make the Palm a dedicated caching unit because if I left my ipod in the woods (as I've been known to do with the GPSr) I would surely go nuts. MP3's, podcasts, videos, etc. are my drug that makes frequent travelling palatable. Hopefully I get a new handheld GPSr with topo mapping for Christmas and efficiency will be markedly better.
wvangler

Postby Aquacache on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:40 pm

I will pass the cradle off to SSPG and let her bring it down Thursday.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby Knight who says Ni on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:08 am

Aquacache wrote:I will pass the cradle off to SSPG and let her bring it down Thursday.

Cool. I will be glad to help out.
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Postby Wintz on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:42 pm

I am using my nuvi for paperless now instead of my pda. The nuvi talks to me... :smile:
--wintz50
Wintz

Postby Aquacache on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:48 pm

Wintz wrote:I am using my nuvi for paperless now instead of my pda. The nuvi talks to me... :smile:

What does the nuvi say? ... "Look under that rock over there."

Can you store cache descriptions in a nuvi? :shock: I might actually have to get one if it will store the description, logs, hint, etc!

Aquacache

Postby Wintz on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:15 pm

The Nuvi will store the entire cache description, hint, and past logs.

Here is how to set it up.
http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html
--wintz50
Wintz

Postby wvangler on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:13 pm

AC, I finally got the cradle from SSPG. I have a serial port on my work computer so I'm hoping to try it tomorrow. My home PC desktop only has one serial port and the monitor is running to it now. I have a serial to USB converter and I've been fighting with it all day. I cannot get the thing to link up through the USB connection AT ALL. I'm getting rather irritated since I know this can be done. I need an IT dept. for my house.

Anyway, thanks for the cradle. A ton.
wvangler

Postby scoutingwv on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:39 am

wvangler wrote:AC, I finally got the cradle from SSPG. I have a serial port on my work computer so I'm hoping to try it tomorrow. My home PC desktop only has one serial port and the monitor is running to it now. I have a serial to USB converter and I've been fighting with it all day. I cannot get the thing to link up through the USB connection AT ALL. I'm getting rather irritated since I know this can be done. I need an IT dept. for my house.

Anyway, thanks for the cradle. A ton.

Your monitor is plugged into the serial port? That should be a VGA port - about the same size and shape, but 15 pins instead of the 9 for a serial port. But ... I'm wondering - if you only have one and the monitor is plugged into it, what port were you testing the adapter on?

You're right - the adapter should work. USB is just another form of serial communications and the adapters aren't doing a whole lot of magic in there.

Good luck
scoutingwv

Next

Return to General Stuff