Changes to Earthcache Submissions

Here we can post any and all threads containing useful information pertaining to Geocaching or other subjects

Changes to Earthcache Submissions

Postby wvangler on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:44 am

FYI, Starting soon earthcache submissions will go directly through geocaching.com. The following is directly from earthcache.org:

NEWS UPDATE
Due to the tight schedule of Groundspeak’s development team, a change has been made to our schedule for the roll out of the new system. EarthCaches submissions will now be accepted in the new system starting the week of Dec 15, 2009. We are sorry for the delay, but want to make sure the system is complete before submissions take place.

The submission process on this site is now closed pending the roll out of the new system.

The EarthCache Team and Groundspeak.

CHANGES TO SUBMITTAL PROCESS
We are about to change the way EarthCaches are submitted, reviewed and published. The new system will dramatically speed up the review process and help you to develop your EarthCaches directly in the geocaching.com system. It is a HUGE step forward!

The current system will close on on 30 November. We will not be accepting any more submissions through this site. However the submittal guidelines and complete EarthCache listings will still be maintained here.

Please continue to develop your EarthCaches in anticipation of the launch of the new system.

The new system will commence on 9 December. From that date onwards you will be able to submit EarthCaches directly into the geocaching.com new cache form. A team of reviewers will work wth your submittal.

Please note that the standards for EarthCaches will not diminish, especially those relating to permission. Some other rules common to most cache types will come into force, such as the proximity and vacation cache rules.

We will make further announcements as the need arises on this site and in the EarthCache forums.

Thanks again for you support!

The EarthCache Team

So this looks like a win/lose. Win = speed up the cache submission process a little bit. Lose = you will no longer be able to submit earthcaches that are within standard proximity to existing caches.

Also FYI on earthcaches, I recently went through A LOT OF EFFORT to get permission, did a ton of research, etc. to submit an earthcache on the Ohio River Islands Wildlife Refuge. I was rejected because my earthcache submission was too biologically based. Apparently all earthcaches must be geologically based only. Science pertaining to ecological interactions, etc. aren't permitted. While this is a big fat wad of suck and deprives teaching moments equally (if not more) relevant as geological concepts, it is what it is. Unfortunately for me, my work on getting formal permission from the US F&WS will go down the toilet since there really isn't anything geologically significant about a big muddy island. At least not interesting enough for me to go through the effort of making an earthcache about it.
Indecision is the key to flexibility.
wvangler

Re: Changes to Earthcache Submissions

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:15 am

I agree, but they are "Earth" caches and have been fairly consistent in their content.

Maybe a Biocache series could be started? I've seen some from math and science teachers ... why not? There's the whole problem with additional requirements now, but I think there could be a ceative solution found. It's something similar to what I've been trying to put together with GLOBE.
scoutingwv

Postby wvangler on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:45 am

I always thought that the "earth" included biological content. So living interactions are not of the planet Earth? :???: I think ecology subjects should be included in earthcaches.
wvangler

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:24 am

Apparently only if their fossils.
scoutingwv

Postby pbump on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:35 pm

scoutingwv wrote:Apparently only if their fossils.

Whose fossils?
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby scoutingwv on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:47 pm

What? I spell checked it.

AND it's closer than some of the crap that's been written lately ...

(note to Magpi general population - if you resemble that last remark, you shouldn't be upset at me, you should be upset with your English teacher for letting you pass).
scoutingwv

Postby wvangler on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Ah, pbump, I almost made the same comment. :lol:

SWV, while I'm not quite as bold, I have to agree. A certain string of "found it" logs on a certain cache that is of great interest to this board contained some of the most staggering misuse of grammer I've yet seen.

Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice...
wvangler

Postby egroeg on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:06 pm

".....some of the most staggering misuse of grammer I've yet seen. "

My irony detector just blew out from the overload.
I do, however, completely agree with the sentiment.
egroeg

Postby pbump on Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:46 pm

egroeg wrote:".....some of the most staggering misuse of grammer I've yet seen. "

So long as they treat gramper nicely....
“It's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey and more money.” Tom T. Hall
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow." Nanook's Mamma

"Corripe Cervisiam"

pbump

Postby scoutingwv on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:17 am

pbump wrote:So long as they treat gramper nicely....

What took you so long? :lol:
scoutingwv

Postby wvangler on Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:19 am

egroeg wrote:".....some of the most staggering misuse of grammer I've yet seen. "

j

GrammAr and spelling are not necessarily linked...FYI. I do, however, completely agree with the sentiment. :cool:
wvangler

Postby egroeg on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:27 am

".....some of the most staggering misuse(s) of grammer I've yet seen. "

You can also make a case for the mismatch of the plural "some" and the singular "misuse", especially since he referred to multiple logs. However, misuse might be one of those funky words that can be considered both singular and plural. Way above my formal English edumacation. Just sounded odd.
egroeg

Postby wvangler on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:39 am

Interesting debate. At my work the word "misuse" is frequently used since I work in a regulatory environment where one of our focal points is the misuse of certain chemicals. I've not once heard "misuses" as a plural form of that word, but perhaps we're all wrong. :???:
wvangler

Postby egroeg on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:26 pm

A collection of individual (and not necessarily related) incidents could be spoken of as misuses. A pattern of related events would be more like your "misuse of certain chemicals." That's what I meant by the word being able to be both singular and plural, since the latter usage obviously implies multiple events.
I just looked it up, and misuses is in my dictionary.

Think we've picked enough nits off this one yet?
egroeg

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:15 pm

English major asks that you please stop. Otherwise her brain may well implode. :eek:

as a side note, I've never submitted an Earthcache, but wow the one at Harper's Ferry and the one at Sidling Hill nearly caused my brain to implode
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Next

Return to Resources