Field guide for wild edibles

Here we can post any and all threads containing useful information pertaining to Geocaching or other subjects

Field guide for wild edibles

Postby Rock_Rat on Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:59 pm

I want to get a good field guide for edible wild plants, berries, nuts, mushrooms, and the like. If it focused on plants in our area that would be great. Pictures are always a plus. I figure with our outdoorsy crew some one may have a suggestion(or 10). Thanks. :eat:
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Postby scoutingwv on Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:12 am

The best field guides I ever had was my dad and a wonderful gentleman named Homer Currence. Homer has been teaching locals about this topic for probably more than 50 years, my dad's been teaching me since I was a kid (well, trying to teach me, anyway). I'll check with dad and see what he might recommend.

From what you listed and from personal experience, I would strongly recommend you only collect and eat wild mushrooms which you are 100% positively certain. After gathering them for 40 years with my dad there are still only two in this area I'll pick - morels and chanterelles. These things are very deceptive because they change colors, textures, and shapes throughout their growing time.
scoutingwv

Postby Rock_Rat on Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:40 am

scoutingwv wrote:The best field guides I ever had was my dad and a wonderful gentleman named Homer Currence. Homer has been teaching locals about this topic for probably more than 50 years, my dad's been teaching me since I was a kid (well, trying to teach me, anyway). I'll check with dad and see what he might recommend.

From what you listed and from personal experience, I would strongly recommend you only collect and eat wild mushrooms which you are 100% positively certain. After gathering them for 40 years with my dad there are still only two in this area I'll pick - morels and chanterelles. These things are very deceptive because they change colors, textures, and shapes throughout their growing time.

Cool, thanks. And as for mushrooms I thought you were only supposed to eat the ones growing under cow patties (LOL). :banpart:
Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole
Rock_Rat

Return to Resources