Begineers GPS

Here we can post any and all threads containing useful information pertaining to Geocaching or other subjects

Begineers GPS

Postby DustyR on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:33 am

TEE13 my caching pal was wondering what this esteemed body would recommend in the way of a beginners GPS. No bells or whistles just a GPS that would hold a few way-points and be easy to enter coords in. :cool:
DustyR

Re: Begineers GPS

Postby Aquacache on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:11 am

For a no bells and whistles GPSr, I would recommend one of the low-end Garmin eTrex line. The "cheap yellow GPS" (aka: Garmin eTrex H) can be had for around $100 (cheaper on eBay), holds 500 waypoints and the new "H" model has the high sensitivity antenna that gets much better reception than the earlier versions. It's not too difficult to enter waypoints and you can easily transfer them from the computer if you get a data cable (available on eBay for around $10-$15).

• I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

• I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make when they go flying by.
Aquacache

Postby scoutingwv on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:07 pm

There's always a map and compass. And if you use UTM, you can learn a new coordinate system, too.

On second thought, naahh ... WaterCan was right - go with the little eTrex.
scoutingwv

Postby thebuddhaman on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:28 pm

the first gps i got was a e-trex,i found over 100 caches with it before my wife got me a 60c because of the maps.i still take the e-trex with me to the boat in case i get the chance to grab a cache(i was able to get 2 on this trip)the only down fall to the one i have is you have to put the waypoints in it by hand but that only take a second once you get use to it
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We didn't inherit this world for our parents.... We borrow it from our children
thebuddhaman

Postby Spotty Spotty Pony Girl on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:50 pm

I concurr with Water Can and the Big Boy Scout.

my first GPSr was the "little yellow garmin" and it was fine. I cached quite a bit with it.

then my Dad (Foxtrot Bravo) found the evil blue garmin of doom on sale with all kinds of extra stuffies, bought it, took my little yellow happy garmin and gave me said blue garmin.

So, for heaven's sakes, keep poor TEE13 away from the Evil Blue Garmin(s) of Doom. :shock: No need for someone that young to suffer so. :cool:

ps I have a cheap blue garmin I'll sell ya! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I kill me)
Sidekick LWB said to sidekick engineer, 'I've hung out with people i've met on the internet before but i've never run into any of them in the middle of the woods.' (Upper Yough Trek)

Buffaloes and tigers are one thing, but mustelids are not to be trifled with.
Spotty Spotty Pony Girl

Postby Knight who says Ni on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Spotty Spotty Pony Girl wrote:I concurr with Water Can and the Big Boy Scout.

my first GPSr was the "little yellow garmin" and it was fine. I cached quite a bit with it.

then my Dad (Foxtrot Bravo) found the evil blue garmin of doom on sale with all kinds of extra stuffies, bought it, took my little yellow happy garmin and gave me said blue garmin.

So, for heaven's sakes, keep poor TEE13 away from the Evil Blue Garmin(s) of Doom. :shock: No need for someone that young to suffer so. :cool:

ps I have a cheap blue garmin I'll sell ya! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I kill me)

Hey! No bad comments about the blue Garmin! I have been using one for nearly a year and do ok with it. Of course I would prefer to have a nice PDA to do caching with or a fancy GCC, but just haven't become that obsessed yet! :lol:
Adventure is a romantic name for trouble. ~Louis L'Amour
Knight who says Ni

Postby scoutingwv on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Knight who says Ni wrote:<snip>Of course I would prefer to have a nice PDA <snip>

It's all in the blackberry, good Knight ...
scoutingwv

Return to Resources